Plasma cutting, a technique familiar to many, holds immense appeal for both seasoned metalworkers and newcomers seeking precision cutting capabilities. The key inquiry, however, centers on one’s knowledge in selecting the optimal plasma cutter without overspending.
Within the vast array of available options, each boasting unique features at varying price points, the task can be daunting. It’s akin to navigating a labyrinth without a guide, uncertain of which route leads to the desired outcome.
Yet, fear not, for we are here to illuminate your path through this intricate maze of plasma cutters. We’ve shouldered the burden, meticulously evaluating the offerings, and have emerged with a concise catalog of the five finest plasma cutters priced under $500.
Indeed, you read that correctly—under $500! We’ve conducted the research to streamline your decision-making process, sparing you unnecessary hassle. Whether you’re a seasoned expert or a novice, join us as we unveil the top contenders that not only meet your cutting requirements but also align with your budgetary constraints.
In a Rush? Here is Our Top Choice
- Super efficient
- Easy to use
- Fully automated
- Offers non-touch technology
- Weight: 19.4 pounds
- 1 – Year Warranty
5 Best Plasma Cutters Under $500 – Reviews
1. Lotos LTP5000D Plasma Cutter – Best Overall Pick
So, let’s take a peek at the Lotos LTP5000D. It’s a “pilot arc plasma cutter” which boasts super quality cutting all neatly packaged in a compact little bundle.
It’s ideal for those smaller DIY jobs at home, but is also perfectly suited to medium-scale commercial stuff.
The non-touch pilot circular plasma shaper is very efficient and can cut through really thick material too – you can slice your way through materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, copper, compound steel and, well, any type of conductive metal actually.
The really amazing thing about this device is that you can make cuts without stressing or misshaping the material you’re cutting.
This 50-amp digital inverter machine weighs a mere 20 pounds and is equipped with a propelled cooling frame and a switch control inverter. It can neatly cut its way through material up to ¾ inch thick – we think you’ll agree that this is a really good buy!
- Offers non-touch technology so that the torch nozzle does not have to come into contact with the surface that is being cut
- Super efficient
- Powerful enough to cut through both thick and thin metals with equally good results
- It is fully automated and makes cutting a breeze
- During the cutting process, if the nozzle touches or drags on the surface, it can damage the material
- It takes a lot of time to cut the correct angle
2. ZENY 50 Amp CUT-50 Plasma Cutter – The Runner-up
Now, the ZENY DC plasma cutter is fairly new on the market. It’s the perfect tool for the job of cutting through metal.
The cutter comes with a brilliant plasma torch, which has been designed specifically to upgrade and enhance the quality of every single cut.
This clever little number can be used to slice through materials for all sorts of applications – making sheet metal structures, construction site work, car repairs, ducting, general DIY … you name it, it can cut it!
The ZENY DC plasma torch uses 50Hz/60Hz with the V-MOSFET transforming this current down to the correct voltage, and the super lightweight inverter control is just perfect for the job – it will even increase productivity by 30%!
This dual-voltage 110-220V cutting equipment is both light and small, but creates a high electromagnetic field that seems impossible for such a compact structure.
What’s not to like?!
- Great for cutting through hard metals
- Super value for money
- Easy to use, is lightweight and requires very little effort
- A greater load and more voltage causes severe damage to the machine
3. Lotos LT3500 Portable Plasma Cutter – Best Value
That said, the device is perfectly capable of cutting a piece of metal that is 10mm thick, so this gives you a great price/performance ratio for all your DIY chores.
As with the LT3500, the Lotos LT3500 boasts a higher amperage of 35 amps and yet is under 100V. It can be used alongside your air compressor too! What more could you want?
This under $500 machine is ideal for cutting alloy steel, stainless steel, mild steel, copper, aluminum etc., all while using non-hazardous, safe, compressed air and requiring little to no effort in the process! Food for thought we think?
- Great choice for the cost aware DIYer
- Super for light cutting chores on account of the compact cutter
- Easy to use – great for beginners
- Lightweight and needs no effort to operate
- Fully automated
- Very affordable
- Not suitable for cutting thick metal
- Tendency to overheat when more load or voltage is applied
- Is suitable for beginners, but not for professional or for heavier cutting chores
- The mains cable is too short
4. SUNGOLDPOWER CUT50 Inverter Plasma-Cutter
Let’s take a look at the SUNGOLDPOWER air plasma cutter. It’s a member of the “CUT50” family and delivers a current of up to 50 amps.
All of these units offer a similar value range, and we noticed that most of them are either blue or yellow – go figure!
When considered along with other comparable models, you notice that it has an advanced LCD display too. It can ramp all the way up to 220 volts to enable the cutting of thicker surfaces – and it can slice down to a depth of 15 millimeters, too! Impressive, right?
As is the case with most of the lower range models, this below $500 unit comes with a 1-year guarantee and a fairly basic range of consumables.
The IGBT soft switch technology gives you stable performance, top currents and rapid switching speeds. It is particularly cost-effective at higher voltages, and the heat dissipation of this equipment is more powerful and far superior to MOSFET machines.
- Fairly quiet
- Saves energy
- High cutting speed
- Good shield from electric shock
- Not able to cut any surface that is thicker than 15 mm
5. PrimeWeld Ct520d 50Amp Plasma Cutter
This multipurpose unit offers you a whole range of welding and cutting options. It can slice through various types of metal up to ½ inch thick and with a 50A plasma cutting capacity!
Weighing 32lbs, this machine is both convenient and solid. The fact that it combines plasma cutting, TIG/stick welding and arc welding functions too, makes it the perfect 3-in-1 cutter to meet all your welding and cutting needs! What’s not to like?
- Compact cutter
- Efficient and portable
- Lightweight and easy to use
- 3-in-1 cutter so can cut, TIG/stick and arc weld too
- Has issues cutting anything that is more than ½ inch thick
Our Top Choice Under $500
Now, you’re equipped with an array of five exceptional choices all priced under $500!
The dilemma lies in deciding which one suits you best. Fortunately, you have a diverse selection at your disposal, ensuring you’ll discover the ideal match for your specific requirements, whether it’s for DIY projects or semi-professional tasks.
Among these outstanding options, the Lotos LTP5000D stands out as our ultimate recommendation. With an impressive price-to-performance ratio, it delivers cutting-edge technology that excels in efficiency and performance.